While I thought that I fixed my previous problems with my Foretrex it turned out that it was only a temporary measure. I think that my tinkering and prodding eventually fried the board in the loader clip-on module. In any case, the unit would no longer recharge or connect to the PC. Tired of dealing with it and annoyed I could not use the Foretrex anymore I ordered a new loading unit from Waypoint which promptly arrived in a week's time. Everything worked out of the box and I've been using the Foretrex again for some of the recent hikes. I hope that my problems were just a one-off and that the replacement bracket will hold out much longer.